Home > Food Items
How Much Does Canned Crab Meat CostSought for its sweet, tender flavor, crab meat in a can mainly offers convenience and some degree of preservation. Basically there are two different kinds of canned crab; the ordinary shelf cans and refrigerated cans.
Canned OptionsFor non-refrigerated, shelf-stable cans:
- Quality natural bright white Jumbo Lump crab goes from $9 to $14 in the 6.5 oz can sizes. Some of the cans may declare unbleached contents.
- Lump white canned crab will cost $6 to $10 for a 6 oz size. Also available in 13 ounce cans. Certain 'Fancy Lump' brands may go above $13 each.
- Common 6 ounce cans of white crabmeat are between $3 and $4.50 depending on place of purchase. About the most inexpensive is pink crabmeat at around $2.00 to $2.50 per can.
- Colossal (or Mega Jumbo Lump) crabmeat of the blue crab are priced at a premium because there is simply little meat of its kind to be had. It can cost more than $35 to $40 per pound. But variations such as Super, or, Jumbo Lump could be another choice that is harvested from larger crabs that can be found down to $25 a pound.
- Other types such as Lump, Back fin (flakes) and Claw Crabmeat cost somewhat less but these are frequently used.